Galaxy s3 has been updated Android 4.3 update with many features and improved UI, see the previous post regarding new features of Galaxy S3. The update is rolling out by Samsung in many countries but still rolling out is very slow and not available in many countries, even in India Galaxy s3 4.3 update is awaited by the Galaxy S3 users.
If you cannot wait to update release in your country/region you can upgrade your Galaxy S3 using Odin, before upgrading you should backup your device all data e.g. contacts (sync with google), sms (backup using sms backup and restore app from play store), copy apps using Androzip to sd card, copy all internal sd card files & folders e.g. photo, videos etc. into laptop or computer. You can also take backup using samsung kies, but it doubt that it will again restore using kies or not as some people report that it has not restored.
Backup is essential as you are upgrading 4.1 to 4.3 you should clean all data to work new apps without any problems. If your mobile rooted you can have backup of your all apps with data using Titanium backup pro app. The firmware installation mentioned in this post automatically wipe all your data and even wipe your internal SD card.
Keep in your mind that if something gone wrong you may brick your device or void your warranty so it is up to you what you are going to do. First read many posts on Google, XDA developers forums and Sammobile.com to start the upgradation. You can again install the upgrade just over it when it will released in your country to get warranty related issues at service centre.
If you are not aware with Odin, download mode, recovery mode see my previous post to get familiar with these things –
To start the work you need following –
1. Your Galaxy S3,
2. USB data cable,
3. Battery charged upto 80% atleast
4. ZIP file to upgrade from sammobile
After downloading zip file from sammobile.com extract it into your computer. Instruction to update are as follows-
– Download Odin3 v3.09 (From here or here)
– Extract Odin .ZIP file
– Open Odin3 v3.09
– Restart phone in download mode (Press and hold Home + Power + Volume down buttons)
– Connect phone and wait until you get a blue sign in Odin
– Add AP_N7100XXUEMK9_2138564_REV04_user_low_ship.tar.md5 to AP
– Add BL_N7100XXUEMK9_2168382_REV00_user_low_ship.tar.md5 to BL
– Add CP_N7100XXUEMJ9_REV08_CL1423182.tar.md5 to CP
– Add CSC_OXX_N7100OXXEMK4_2174777_REV04_user_low_ship.tar.md5 to CSC
– Make sure re-partition is NOT ticked
– Click start button, sit back and wait a few minutes.
– If you encounter any issues with the firmware (Any FC, Bootloop etc)
– Boot into recovery mode (Home+power+vol up)
– Choose to wipe/factory reset. (THIS WILL ERASE ALL OF YOUR DATA INCLUDING YOUR INTERNAL SD CARD!)
– Then choose reboot and you should be good to go!