Windows 7 guide for beginners : It is now more than 2 years after releasing windows 7 but people are still not using full features of Windows 7.
See once again revision of windows 7 new features:
1. Windows 7 guide – Jump lists in Windows 7 — This is a very useful feature of windows 7 just like recent documents in XP and Vista. You can pin your more frequently use programs into taskbar e.g. Word, Excel, PowerPoint, PDF reader(Adobe/Foxit), IE, Firefox, Outlook etc. when you right click on the Icon of respective programs it shows recent files. You can open the desired one by clicking on them, you can also pin your frequently using files into this list so that you can easily open them when you desired. Just example if you have your company’s employees directory in excel you can pin this into excel list. And whenever you required to open the directory just right click on excel icon and open the directory.
See the picture below:
The nos. of recent programs can be increased and decreased using the customize task bar properties. Right click on task bar then click on properties then in properties click on start menu then customize see below:
Now in above picture you can also customize your start menu, for example check the box for run command and it will see you in your start command.
2. Now I will tell you a very useful feature of jump list. See the situation when you have to work in two excel files side by side for copy paste purpose or just for comparing/check the values manually just for viewing purpose in same computer or a computer that is connecting with two monitor. For example if you have laptop then you can connect a monitor and compare the two files into two screens.
How to do this just open first excel file then after for second file right click on excel icon on task bar then click on Microsoft excel it will open an excel new book1, then using file menu open your second file now drag this second file into second monitor and leave. It was so easy, picture showing below two files side by side in same computer.
3. I am using search everything software to fast searching the documents, you can download this from here.
4. Windows 7 guide using Libraries in Windows 7: This is a very useful feature of windows 7 , you can create new libraries by right click in windows explorer . First open the windows libraries by clicking on folder icon into the task bar. Then right click and then click on new then library, see the picture below:
Now rename as per your requirement, e.g. I have created a library called office doc. Now add all your office related folders inside this category. By right click on the folder then click on include into library or just click on the folder and from explorer ribbon click on include into the library.
Next time you have to open only this library for browsing your office related folders not to browse your whole computer for important office files also not need to search here and there just search only in office doc library.
Also for music and videos add all similar type of folders into the related libraries.
If you delete a library it doesn’t mean that you remove the folders, it is just the linking of folder into the one location not the copying of them.
There is one more benefit of including your entire music and videos folder into these libraries that you can arrange then according to folders, albums, artists, genre etc. see the picture below:
5. If you are having problem to view small icons and fonts of windows you can adjust the setting from display. Right click on desktop then personalize then display. You will see the settings as like below:
Now click on medium (125%) or larger (150%) as per your requirement. By next log off you will see the changes.
6. Windows 7 guide Snipping tools in Windows 7: Use snipping tools to capture the screen shots as per you desiring. In start menu type snipping and you will found the this tool now capture your desired screen shots using the tool.
7. Windows 7 guide Using Hibernate in place of Shut down: When you click on hibernate it will save your all user data including RAM data into a system file into your hard disk. Next time when you start your PC it will load all the data from this file to RAM again and start faster. As per my opinion you will not require to shut down your PC every time, it is only required when windows itself ask to you for restarting e.g. during windows updates, any software updates like anti-virus etc., during installation/un-installation of big programs like MS Office etc.
During normal use you can always hibernate to fast start up and shut off to your PC.
If you don’t found this option then go to control panel and type in search bar
Power option, then under these settings clicks for desired power option for example in desktops high performance is no problem , in laptops use balanced or power saver as per battery conditions.
Then go to change plan settings and then go to change advanced power settings. And now under sleep off the allow hybrid sleep. Now choose desired time for your sleep and hibernation and click ok.
8. Further use some of key-board short cuts or hot keys in windows 7 to improve your work efficiency:
a. win+e : open windows explorer
b. win+r : open run command
c. win+d : show desktop
d. win+p : connect projector
e. win+tab : flip open windows
f. alt+tab : choose all open programs
g. ctrl+shift+esc : to open task manager
h. ctrl+s : save any document/file etc.
i. alt+space bar: press n – minimise, press x- maximise, press c – close the current window.
j. ctrl+pg-dn/pg-up : In internet explorer/FireFox & Excel move between the Tabs.
k. alt+d : to type into IE address bar
l. ctrl+d: book mark a page into IE
m. ctrl+b : to bold texts in word doc
n. ctrl+i : to italic texts in word doc
o. ctrl+u : to underline texts in word doc
p. ctrl+l : for left justified in a word doc
q. ctrl+r: for right justified in a word doc
r. ctrl+e : for centre justified in a word doc
s. Select texts now press ctrl+shift+>/< to increase and decrease the font size.
t. In a shortcut in desktop right click then properties then choose your desired short cut keys to open desired program/folder/file very fast
For similar posts on windows 7 guide see these links-
You may also like to see-